Land-based sensor rig
Background & motivation
- The first autonomous ferries are being developed for short crossings of rivers and canals, with short distance to shore and well-developed communication infrastructure.
- In these operation domains, the use of land-based sensors can improve the situational awareness of the ferries.
- A land-based sensor may improve the situational awareness of the ferry beyond line of sight (e.g. beyond turns and bridges).
- It may also be possible to move sensors from the ferry to land without reducing situational awareness
- These sensors will detect the ferry in addition to other objects in the vicinity.
- Setup an architecture for sensor fusion with land-based sensors
- Compare the tracker with and without data from land-based sensors
- The comparison may be on either recorded data, or in simulations
Figure 1: An example of a land-based sensor rig.